Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Week of Classes

We survived the first week of classes without stroke, seizure, or acts of violence....man, that was close. Mr. B was none too happy though be left at home alone after having Shane and Susan home with him all day for two weeks. He didn't take it well and now a few cherished pillows are no more.

The start of Spring semester isn't as cheery and optimistic as the beginning of Fall. I tried my hardest not to dash any hopes. I count myself lucky not to be stuck with an overload this semester but I do have four preps. Although it pains me, physical science and animal/plant biology are going to stay in their canned versions. However I am teaching BIO 102 for the first time in 6 years.

BIO 102 is my favorite class because it covers three of my favorite topics: evolution, ecology, and natural history. I have a small class, 9 well-adjusted students. The only problem is that I haven't figured out a way to assess their learning. The learning checks I tried last semester in 101 were a good idea but were poorly executed by me so I promised them they wouldn't suffer through them again. My dream is to make the course like a graduate seminar. We could gather around a table and discuss readings and make informal presentations. I also want to make their labs interesting, open-ended, and enjoyable. It is nice to dream.

Anatomy and Physiology is undergoing the biggest change. I am trimming and pruning a bunch of the early material to spend more time on muscles, special senses, and the nervous system later in the semester. I am also trying case studies, constructivist, 5E model, and problem-based learning activities. My course up until now has been extremely lecture-heavy and book centered. The problem I have been facing has been finding problems for a couple of the early organ systems: skin, joints, bones. It is no trouble finding nervous system case studies. I have a feeling they are the easiest ones to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home